Which Week Would You Go?

Wendy

Wake me up at the end of the meal
My daughter and I are planning on running the Wine and Dine 10K which is the November 5-8th next year. We are trying to decide if we should go the week before or after the marathon weekend. We recognize many pros and cons of going each week. We would go either October 31-8 or November 6-14th.

My daughter has always wanted to go to the Halloween Party, if we went the week before the race we potentially could get tickets to the Halloween party on October 31st. It seems there has been a lot of negative feedback as to how busy those parties were this year. We also think we may perform better at the race if we arrived on the 6th so we aren’t so exhausted from parks all week and potentially not the best eating. I believe Jersey week may be during one of those weeks. Do you think there would be a better week based on lower crowds?

Please provide feedback on which week you think would be best. Thanks for your help.

Wendy

Wendy

Thanks for your feedback George. That was my gut feeling as well, but knowing how much my daughter wants to go to a Halloween party, I was considering it.

I also thought it would be easier to pick up our run packet the Thursday and Friday before the run if we went the week of October 31. I have never done a run and am not sure what the process is like, picking up the packet.

We are DVC members at BCV and will need to book at the 11th month window which will be coming up soon.

bnoble

he's right
I would put the race early in my trip, rather than at the end, and that would over-rule other considerations (e.g. crowds). When I did the January half, I planned to arrive latish in the day, two days before the race. I didn't do much on the day before the race other than hang around the resort, deal with packet pickup, eat a big pile of pasta and go to bed early. I then stuck around for a few days after to enjoy the parks.

As someone who loves Halloween, going to MNSSHP on Halloween night is one of my favorite memories. My daughter and I had such a great time. However, that was in 2014; I'm sure it would be more crowded now.

kmc8826

I guess the problem with doing the race and staying after is running into the Veteran’s Day holiday and then the holiday tapings. The parks have looked to be crazy busy this weekend. Logistically thought I would rather do the run first. So sorry not really a clear answer. :)

Wendy

Thank you for the feedback. I am still a little torn as to which week we should go. The 10K is on Saturday. We would like to fly in around noon on the Friday before. I am not sure how long it will take to pick up the packet on Friday and how late the expo is open.

bnoble

he's right
I was worried about flight delays causing me to miss packet pickup. That’s why I came in the night befor I had to do that.

georgiahoo

We did this race weekend a few years ago (2016ish I believe) and I thought the parks were incredibly busy. We arrived I around Halloween (which I think was in midweek) and stayed about a week. It was Jersey Week, race weekend, and the last week of Epcot Food and Wine. Epcot was crazy crowded, even the food booths. I think whichever you do you should plan on heavy crowds.

We did the Halloween party on Halloween a few years ago (maybe the same trip but can't remember) and thought it was really busy but also really fun.

Wendy

Thanks. Great feedback everyone! We still haven’t decided. If we do the race on the first half of our trip we would like to take a day and a half more time off to stay through the following weekend. So it will depend on how much time my daughter can take off.

Anne

Thank you for the feedback. I am still a little torn as to which week we should go. The 10K is on Saturday. We would like to fly in around noon on the Friday before. I am not sure how long it will take to pick up the packet on Friday and how late the expo is open.
I think the expo is open until 8ish. I recall it closing too early for my comfort on arrival day. I had one friend fly in mid afternoon and she missed the expo by the time she took ME to the hotel. And getting to the expo is a bit of a pain, traffic can be bad. My friend missed our park the next morning to go to the expo (thankfully race was 2 days after her arrival).

Wendy

Thanks Anne. That conforms that we need to fly in on Thursday before race, if we stay the week following the race. Brian stated the same thing. He arrived two days prior.