Why doesn't everyone do this?

TiggerGirl

Hello!

I'll keep a long story short and tell you we're shopping for a resale contract for BC with an Oct/Dec UY.

Why doesn't everyone buy at Saratoga and book at 7 months?

It's not even guaranteed at 11 months but seems there's always something at 7 months - and someone just created a spreadsheet that tells you for every resort what your odds are and for BC - your odds were pretty good that you'd be able to get 8-13 days at BC at 7 months.

So why wouldn't everyone just buy the cheaper points?

TiggerGirl

so i just read another in here that i guess a lot of people DO in fact do this.

we'll always travel the last week of January - Feb 15 (out by Presidents Day) - it will always be just two of us - we always want to stay at BCV or BWV - we will always want a studio unless we bank points and can get a 1 bdrm

I know you can't tell me that if i buy at SSR I will always be able to get what I want at BCV or BWV but what would you do? It's a difference of $50+/- per point.

Micah008

Staff member
We almost always book something at 11 months where we own, and then at 7 months look at what is available and change to others. We sometimes don't get our #1 choice, but there is typically something available we are good with or we stick with the home resort (and have had some surprises available that we jumped on). Flexibility is the key, and persistence if you really want something keep checking back and/or use the waitlist.

Some say buy where you want to stay, but as you point out there is a large difference in cost, and the contracts may not be as long (you listed 2 2042 resorts). If there are certain places you feel you must be at, or certain room types that are difficult to get, then you will need to own there.

I personally think it is fine to buy where you don't mind staying, and then try for others, as long as you are not disappointed. We bought some at SSR with this thought in mind and have never used those points at SSR, only for other resorts at 7mo, including BCV and BWV. We have not used them at SSR even once. Our AKV points we often use there (Value rooms need 11 mo) and our Riviera points (only own a few) we only use there.

From experience you will likely get BCV or BWV at that time of year (other than Standard View BWV) but there is no guarantee, and without owning there you would need to be ok with somewhere else (like OKW, SSR, AKV all of which are the easiest to get). You will find years when you can't get an entire trip, and only can find some nights but not all. Be ready for how you would handle that (split stay? stay elsewhere? shorter trip? change dates?)

TiggerGirl

. You will find years when you can't get an entire trip, and only can find some nights but not all. Be ready for how you would handle that (split stay? stay elsewhere? shorter trip? change dates?)
really?? is crying an option? I stress so much already just trying to get the places we want when we rent points ....hmmmm

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Availability at 7 months across the property is GREATLY reduced compared to 5-10 years ago. If you want access to the best deal in DVC ownership (AKL value studios), or the most convenient properties during Epcot festivals or runDisney weekends (BCV or BWV) you'll almost cerrtainly need to own there.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Availability at 7 months across the property is GREATLY reduced compared to 5-10 years ago. If you want access to the best deal in DVC ownership (AKL value studios), or the most convenient properties during Epcot festivals or runDisney weekends (BCV or BWV) you'll almost cerrtainly need to own there.
Funny, ordinarily I’d agree, but I just looked today for seven months from now, and availability was pretty wide open. But then again these aren’t ordinarily times.

Micah008

Staff member
really?? is crying an option? I stress so much already just trying to get the places we want when we rent points ....hmmmm
Just to make sure you understood, I was referring to if you insisted on staying at a certain resort or two, especially popular ones like BWV and BCV. You will be able to get a room somewhere at 7 months, for a January trip in particular, just not maybe where you were hoping for every time. As others said if you start wanting to go to BCV or BWV in the fall during F&W then you need to own there for sure, but in Jan/Feb you at least have a chance each year.

Look at my signature and you will see the places we have managed to get at 7 months, including your favorites multiple times each, but a lot of that was how flexible we were willing to be.

How confident are you that BCV/BWV will be where you always want to stay? And that the time of year will not change?

What is the main reason you are looking at buying vs renting? How many points? I love DVC, and am glad we bought-in, but I am the first to admit that it isn't for everyone, especially with the changes in resale restrictions.

Alcachofa

Funny, ordinarily I’d agree, but I just looked today for seven months from now, and availability was pretty wide open. But then again these aren’t ordinarily times.
Mid-April is not a tough time to find DVC units (unless it coincides with Easter). Source: me, who has rented points for April at 5 months.

Strangeite

I would wait.

There was at least a three year lag between the start of the Great Recession in 2008 and when we saw the bottom start to fall on prices for contracts. The fact that Disney is still exercising their ROFR currently and at prices not far below the prevailing market, tells me now isn't the time.

That advice only applies if you agree that our current economic situation is, or going to be, as bad, or worse, than '08.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Mid-April is not a tough time to find DVC units (unless it coincides with Easter). Source: me, who has rented points for April at 5 months.
Just keep an eye out for traditional runDisney event weekends if you're looking at Epcot-area resorts. That location is in high demand for runners and their families. They're USUALLY held:
WDW Marathon - January, first weekend after New Year's Day
Princess Half Marathon - February, around President's Day
Star Wars Half Marathon - April, usually middle of the month
Wine & Dine Half Marathon - November, usually the first weekend coinciding with the end of Food & Wine

TiggerGirl

How confident are you that BCV/BWV will be where you always want to stay? And that the time of year will not change?

What is the main reason you are looking at buying vs renting? How many points? I love DVC, and am glad we bought-in, but I am the first to admit that it isn't for everyone, especially with the changes in resale restrictions.
Okay, I was trying to keep my long story short so I'll do my best to condense info:

I have a CM friend - she gives us her discount on resorts - it's normally 40% of rack rate but can be 50% and one time she got the dining plan for $19.99 per person per day! WHAT? who can eat at Disney for $19.99 per day? NO ONE ...but we did! Anyway ....

We always stayed at CSR - we stayed there six times - and she kept saying you have to go stay other places, there are so many choices etc - so after 5 years we stayed somewhere else. YC and it was WONDERFUL and we did a split stay with the CP and now we can never stay anywhere that you can't walk to a park again.

When we were paying $600/week at CSR it didn't make sense to buy DVC because her discount was less than the dues. Now that we're renting points or using her discount at the CP it's $3000 a week there (tower theme park view) so we thought we would put that money towards something.

We are not rich. We save all year and do nothing in order to have two glorious weeks in Disney. It's TOO HOT most of the year and we love getting out of New England in Jan/Feb as well!

It will ALWAYS be the two of us - we will ALWAYS want to stay at BCV, BWV or that area and I know we can't stay anywhere else if we buy resale. - we will ALWAYS go in Jan/Feb (out before the 15th) and maybe another time for like Easter or Halloween or Christmas to see the sparkly lights but it would be a treat and on top of our norm so if I had to tell him (DBF) that we had to stay somewhere else to go he'd probably be okay with it.

We are also pushing 50 and 60 and have no children (he has grown daughter) so while the contract may become hers I'm good with one that expires in 22 years as I have no one to pass it down to.

We are looking at 100-120 points - 6-7 days in a studio at BC or 105 -points at BWV with a preferred view.

So from what I've read and the feedback we've been given - it makes sense for us. I welcome any additional feedback!

TiggerGirl

And, buying resale now conveys fewer benefits than it used to.
true but no one can buy an AP right now - and we live in NH so unless there is a Moonlight Magic event during our planned stay, we won't be making a trip just for that. Plus aren't they hard to get into? Just guessing based on how awesome the Disney reservation/FP/AP systems are

TiggerGirl

That advice only applies if you agree that our current economic situation is, or going to be, as bad, or worse, than '08.
I mean before March I would have said you were nuts. But yeah now, who knows!? How much longer do you think in your personal opinion to get to that point? Cause in five years this will be paid for

bnoble

he's right
I mean before March
Well, that's the thing: when you say you will ALWAYS do <whatever>, one thing we've learned in the last six months is that...well, maybe not. My wife and I just passed the three year mark for our separation after being married for 19 years. If you hooked either of us to a lie detector four years ago and asked us if we had a good marriage, we'd both say yes, and we'd pass the polygraph.

So, things change. For example, there is a hypothetical future in which you decide you don't want your one-and-only annual vacation to be a visit to WDW.

In any event, my advice is that timeshares are something you should only buy with fun money that you can otherwise live without. Don't assume you will be able to sell it again for the same or more money, and definitely don't borrow to buy one.

Assuming you have the disposable cash on hand, my second piece of advice is don't buy where you wouldn't be willing to stay. If you aren't willing to stay at any resort that isn't walking distance to a park, you should only buy at one of those. Yes, you can sometimes use points at other resorts, but you can sometimes end up being at your home resort. How would you feel if that's SSR and you could have stayed at CSR instead for less money?

Strangeite

I mean before March I would have said you were nuts. But yeah now, who knows!? How much longer do you think in your personal opinion to get to that point? Cause in five years this will be paid for
My personal opinion is that this is going to be far worse than '08 and already is in many ways.

... and definitely don't borrow to buy one.
That has always been my #1 rule when giving advice on DVC.

Micah008

Staff member
We love our January trips for the same reasons you listed.

It seems like you are not willing to stay anywhere other than BCV or BWV, and would be disappointed anywhere else. If that is truly the case then I wouldn't take the risk buying anywhere else. If you buy BCV for example you can always book it at 11 mo and try to switch to BWV for a change of pace. But, if you bought at SSR you need to decide how disappointed you would be getting "stuck" there or at others like AKV or OKW. If you are not ok with that, you need to but at a place you would be ok with every time if it ended up that way.

We are different that we truly enjoy split stays, and the variety of staying at all the resorts ... sure we have favorites, but each time we plan we also talk about where we haven't stayed in a while to try to go back there, and we always want to try to get into new resorts when they are built, which adds variety.

Hope the replies help on the reality of booking. You would probably do well enough quite a few of the years, but I would hate to see you disappointed on the years that it doesn't work out getting what you want.

Anne

I would also think about potential 7-month availability 5-10 years in the future. Until the pandemic the trend has been it's progressively more difficult to get popular resorts at 7 months. Once DVC recovers from the pandemic, will that trend continue? Will what is difficult now become near-impossible in the future?