Windsor Hills: Experiences with Home Away or VRBO?

Derjay

We are planning an April trip and there were be 4 of us, 3 adults and 1 teenager. Thanks to all the knowledge of these boards, we are looking at Windsor Hills. I think it will be a nice compromise for this trip as far as being close to Disney, but having more space, especially as we have a non family member joining us. Plus, it's cheaper than a suite or 2 rooms at Disney.

I've been looking at VRBO and also homeaway, and am noticing that prices are quite a bit lower on homeaway. What have your experiences been, and what should I be aware of? This will be our first trip not staying onsite, so the usual trepidation ensues.

beachta1

I've not stayed at Windsor Hills before, but I have used homeaway a few times. Had great success! I recommend reading all of the reviews from guests, I find them to be really helpful. I also ask for the contract and to read through all of it and ask questions before signing anything. I always like to know what the expectations are about cleaning and how / when I can get the key before getting to the rental property.

Mrs Darling

These are actually owned by the same company and I've noticed some houses show up on both. Not sure there is a big difference in any way that matters, although I prefer the Homeaway user interface.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I haven't used VRBO or Home Away for WH, but I have rented properties on Kauai several times. All good experiences. Just make sure everything is spelled out on the contract, and expect to abide to the letter of that contract.

Sometimes VRBO/HA owners will charge a non-refundable insurance premium in lieu of a refundable security deposit; we always prefer the latter, as we're pretty confident we're not going to trash the place. Sometimes you can negotiate a deposit instead of the premium. It could save you upwards of $100.

Laurensara

I've used VRBO to rent condos at WH twice. Both times went really smoothly, and I have no complaints. Both renters I found on VRBO owned mutliple units at WH and were well versed in vacation rentals. They actually had property management companies that handled all maintainence of the units, but I saveda lot of money by renting direct from the owner. We have stayed in 2 different 2 bedroom condos, and I'd be happy to share their information if that's what you are looking for.

I emailed the owners of the condos I was interested in and asked a few questions to see if they responded promptly and were able to give me firm price quotes from my dates. I thought it was fairly easy to tell who treated their rentals like a business and who didn't really have a clue what they were doing after only a email or two.

Derjay

Great tip about email the owners to get a feel for the place, I'd love to have the info if you have it.

kmc8826

If you get on http://www.windsorhillsrent.com/ you can put in your dates and what you are looking for and have the owners email you. That has worked really well for me on two different occasions. Owners who have availability will come back with an estimate by emailing you and then you can do your research from there. As Lauren says you can tell once you start corresponding with owners or management company who is a possibility and who really is not.

Last edited:

Erika

We used Vbro very successfully for many condo rentals. I have also called and spoken with the owner to just get details, hear a real person and confirm any questions. Once we realized how great it is to stay off property in a condo with a private pool for Less we prob will not go back to on prop (which we did for many yrs.)

bnoble

he's right
Remember that both of these are, essentially, just classified ad boards. Ultimately, you are dealing directly with an owner (and sometimes their management company). For WH specifically, you can probably get better quotes by going to windsorhillsrent.com

chloe

Is there any way to see reviews for properties? I don't see any way to, but sometimes I miss things...

RMmom

they all have a review section. VRBO charges many fees now..... I would advise looking at rentals through tripadvisor.

chloe

Sorry- let me clarify. Reviews for properties on windsorhillsrent.com. Tried to quote bnoble and that didn't work out for me.

nolarookie

The same properties are usually advertised on multiple sites. I usually windownshop on vrbo (which has reviews) then try to book directly with s the owner or management company directly. It's usually cheaper that way.

kmc8826

Sorry- let me clarify. Reviews for properties on windsorhillsrent.com. Tried to quote bnoble and that didn't work out for me.
If you get on windsorhillsrent.com and click on specific houses there is a part where it will show if the house itself has a website. The website will have the positive reviews and if the place has a name you can then google that name and have reviews come up on different sites. Personally I think reviews are less important than some other things to look into (like who the management company is, if the owner is receptive to your actual questions, if they are saying reasonable claims on their site).